July 27, 2018
Member: Dr. James Pankiw
By an Agreed Statement of Facts and Guilty Plea dated January 17, 2018, Dr. Pankiw admitted that he engaged in the practice of chiropractic while his ability to perform a professional service was impaired by alcohol, contrary to clause 20(k) of The Chiropractic Regulatory Bylaws, thereby engaging in misconduct pursuant to section 26 of the said Bylaws.
The Board of the Chiropractors’ Association of Saskatchewan made the following Order:
- The license to practice and registration as a member of Dr. Pankiw are hereby suspended for a period of three (3) weeks commencing August 13, 2018, provided that such suspension shall, in the event of material non-compliance by Dr. Pankiw with any part of this order, continue until such time as Dr. Pankiw is in full compliance with all of this order.
- Pankiw shall forthwith purchase a “Soberlink” device and enter into a contract with Soberlink providing for twice daily alcohol testing, on each and every day that he sees one or more patients, one between 9:00 a.m. and noon and one between 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m., before he sees his first patient, for a period of one (1) year, with daily reports on the test results to be emailed by Soberlink to the Registrar of the Chiropractors’ Association of Saskatchewan. Dr. Pankiw shall, no later than September 4, 2018, provide to the Registrar a copy of his signed contract with Soberlink, in the form attached hereto as Schedule “B”, with such modifications as may be approved by the Registrar, and shall be responsible to cover all of the costs related to the Soberlink device and program.
- Until such time as Dr. Pankiw has commenced use of the Soberlink program, which shall be no later than September 4, 2018, and twice daily test reports are submitted to the Registrar, Dr. Pankiw shall arrange for monitoring of himself, on a daily basis, on each and every day that he sees one or more patients, by an individual to be nominated by Dr. Pankiw and approved in writing by the Board (the “Monitor”). The Monitor, on a weekly basis, shall submit to the Registrar a report for every monitoring session from the prior week, in the form of the report annexed hereto as Schedule “C”. Any and all costs related to such monitoring shall be borne by Dr. Pankiw.
- Pankiw shall pay to the Chiropractors’ Association of Saskatchewan costs in the amount of $10,000.00, by no later than October 1, 2018.
- In the event of non-compliance with any aspect of the foregoing, and a failure by Dr. Pankiw to remedy such non-compliance within seven (7) days of being notified thereof by the Registrar, Dr. Pankiw’s license to practice shall be revoked and his registration as a member be suspended, with such revocation and suspension to continue until such time as Dr. Pankiw fully complies with this order.
October 24, 2017
Member: Dr. Michael Barber
By an Agreed Statement of Facts and Guilty Plea dated June 6, 2017, Dr. Barber admitted that he failed to make a record of his objective findings, contrary to the requirements of clause 2 of Appendix V of The Chiropractic Regulatory Bylaws and section 25 of the said regulatory bylaws, on various occasions involving various patients from approximately April of 2012 to August of 2016.
The Board of the Chiropractors’ Association of Saskatchewan accepted a joint recommendation as to penalty and ordered as follows:
- Dr. Michael Barber is hereby reprimanded;
- Dr. Barber shall pay costs to the Chiropractors’ Association of Saskatchewan in the amount of $900.00 by November 10, 2017;
- Dr. Barber shall complete an online recordkeeping workshop, particulars of such workshop to be submitted by him to the Investigation Committee for approval in advance, by December 29, 2017, and he shall promptly submit to the Registrar satisfactory evidence of his having taken such course; and
- In the event that the aforesaid costs are not paid by November 10, 2017, and evidence of completing the online course is not submitted to the Registrar by December 29, 2017, that Dr. Barber’s license to practice shall thereupon be revoked and be reinstated only following full compliance with this order.